Pacific Grove Unified School
Measure D Minutes
Address any questions to the Assistant Superintendent, Mr. Robin Blakley,
or call the Business Office at 831-646-6509.
Measure D Oversight Committee Minutes of April 28, 2008
1. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Cameron at 7:00pm.
2. Roll call found the following members present: Sam Teel, Alan Cohen, Mark Cameron, Jim Quinn, Richard deSaulles, Jean Ottmar, Carl Miller (arrived in discussion of Item #6).
Absent: Julia Winslow, Dan Miller (had previously resigned), Jennifer Jansen
Public Present: None
3. Adoption of Agenda: Motion was made by Alan Cohen, seconded by Richard deSaulles to approve the agenda. Motion passed 6-0. Member Teel asked that somewhere in the agenda we clarify the previous discussion of how the District was proposing to fund project coordination support.
4. Approval of Minutes of 12/10/07: Motion was made by Jean Ottmar, seconded by Alan Cohen to approve the minutes as submitted. Motion passed 6-0.
5. Individuals desiring to address the committee: None
6. Information/Discussion: Update on Measure D Projects: Blakley reviewed status of the Middle School Music Room, Auditorium project and High School Stadium project and Exterior Painting project indicating that all these projects were currently out to bid. The furniture and equipment process was proceeding and that changes could now be seen at the various schools as new furnishings were being put in place, notably the High School library recently received new furniture. Member Ottmar noted that we should continue to take before and after pictures and hopefully the next annual report could include some select pictures.
Blakley reviewed the various school Board agenda items that had been either already presented to the Board for Scope of Work and Preliminary Plan Approval or were going to be presented to the Board at the May 1 meeting. Each report was reviewed in detail, identifying the scope of work changes and the basic preliminary plans. Member Ottmar asked whether the District Office/Maintenance Facility would require State approval, Blakley indicated that an agency approval was required, the choice was either the State or the City and at this point the District is choosing to go through the State review process.
Blakley then reviewed the situation concerning the project support item, per Member Teel’s previous request. He indicated that the Board had determined that, as the construction projects begin, it was important that adequate project oversight was in place. The administration had indicated to the Board that no funding existed within Measure D for this purpose. A subsequent discussion had determined that a portion of the General Fund amount that was being allocated to the Building Fund, that is used as a supplement for the lease revenues being obtained from the David Ave. property for school improvements, could be used for project oversight without having to use any Measure D funds or without having to reduce any other General Funded activities. Blakley then reviewed that negotiations were in process to use the services of a State inspector that has done similar work for the Carmel School District on the basis that this would be the most cost effective way to proceed. It was clarified that the oversight would not involve any direct authority to change project direction but rather to feed information back to the Assistant Superintendent who would continue to manage the projects but would be given information from the site by this contracted position - similar to what has been occurring with the efforts of the maintenance foreman. Member Teel reviewed for the committee that he felt that it was critical that they watch that the Measure D funds were not being used for non approved activities nor that the District was shifting funds around to allow use of the Bond money for non approved activities.
7. Information/Discussion: Performance Audit : Blakley reviewed that the District had selected the company of VTD to conduct the audit for this coming year and hoped that it would be more thorough and more timely than the past audit. Member Ottmar and others indicated support for this change.
8. Discussion/Action: Meeting Schedule: After discussion it was determined that the next meeting would be held at such time that the performance and financial audit had been completed. Blakley is to speak to the auditors to determine when this would be and ask that it be as soon as possible after the close of the fiscal year so that the annual report can be submitted in a more timely manner. Members also asked that Blakley keep them informed with the monthly Board updates on the status of the Measure D projects and any other information concerning items such as, the results of the project bidding.
9. Adjournment: Prior to adjournment, Blakley asked to briefly inform the Board concerning the status of the Parcel Tax discussion that is going on at the Board level. He reviewed that the existing Parcel Tax will expire after next year unless reauthorized. The Board had commissioned a survey to determine the acceptability of continuing the Parcel Tax and the results of the survey would be presented to the Board on May 1. At that time the Board will determine whether they wish to proceed further with the continuance of the Parcel Tax. Members Ottmar and Teel indicated they had been contacted concerning this subject. Following this discussion the meeting was adjourned at 8:15pm by Chairman Cameron
Ref: Bond 2006 Measure D Meeting 4-28-08 Minutes