Pacific Grove Unified School
Measure D Minutes
Address any questions to the Assistant Superintendent, Mr. Robin Blakley,
or call the Business Office at 831-646-6509.
Measure D Citizen’s Oversight Committee Summary Minutes August 31, 2006 APPROVED
Prepared by Robin Blakley
The meeting began with an introductory statement by Superintendent Perry indicating that, pursuant to the Board adopted bylaws, he had appointed Mark Cameron as Chair to begin the meeting, although Mr. Cameron had indicated that it was not his desire to continue in this role.
1. The meeting was called to order by chairman Cameron at 7:10 pm.
2. Roll call found the following members present: Teel, Cohen, Cameron, C. Miller, Quinn, DeSaulles, D. Miller, Ottmar. Absent: Winslow, Jansen. Note: Winslow arrived at the meeting during the discussion of item #6.
3. Adoption of Agenda - motion was made by Ottmar, seconded by Teel to approve the Agenda as submitted. Motion passed 8-0
4. Review of committee responsibilities/bylaws
Blakley reviewed the memo from Bill Kadi concerning the committee responsibilities and the bylaws that had been adopted by the Board for use by the committee. In discussion, request was made that a copy or summary of the Brown Act be provided to all members. An additional request was made to add the committee members to the list of people being notified of Board Agenda via email. Committee members were requested to sign the Ethics Policy Statement and turn them in. It was noted that the Form 700 (Conflict of Interest form) will be available when provided by the County later in the year.
In discussion of committee responsibilities, it was noted that the committees’ responsibilities are detailed within the bylaws and do not include the selection of projects to be funded with Measure D. Individual members of the committee may, however, approach the Board as citizens to give their input directly to the Board concerning these matters.
5. Election of Officers
Motion was made by Carl Miller to nominate Mark Cameron as Chair, motion was seconded by Alan Cohen. After some discussion, Mr. Cameron accepted the nomination the vote found all in favor.
Jim Quinn volunteered to serve as Vice Chairman. Nomination was made by Sam Teel to elect Jim Quinn as Vice Chair, seconded by Jean Ottmar vote found all in favor.
The committee drew lots to determine which members would have a one year term as required by Section 5.4 of the bylaws. Members drawing the one year term lots were Jean Ottmar and Sam Teel.
6. Approval of Meeting Schedule Consensus was that the committee would meet quarterly. The next meeting will be in November if a discussion between Chairman Cameron and Blakley determines that there was information available for the committee to address. If not, the next committee meeting will be held in January or February 2007.
7. Other Business - Blakley reviewed the list of projects currently being discussed by the Board and informed them that a workshop on this topic was being held on September 14, 2006.
8. Adjournment Meeting was adjourned at 8:02 pm - motion by Quinn, seconded by Teel.